Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 23:33:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Ken Lui <klui@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot close ATAPI CD tray via wmcdplay

Hi!

> I'm running FreeBSD 3.2 and wmcdplay will not close my ATAPI CD-ROM's
> CD tray. The tray will open via software control. Under Linux 2.2.7,
> wmcdplay opens and closes my CD tray without any problems. Anyone else
> run into this problem before?
Yep. I have a Sony CDU621 and I am using xmcd for it because it was the
only one that actually had a console interface as well. But the problem
remains: I can open the tray but not close it. This is way too bad,
because otherwise I could use the very useful locking feature barring the
use of the Eject button on the CD-ROM front panel. What is another
problem, at least with me that after I eject a CD and insert a new one, I
have to exit and enter xmcd again, otherwise it will not notice the
change. Way too bad, these problems but as I felt from the docs, I was
quite fortunate that my CD worked at all. At least almost every player
prog is very much focused on SCSI devices... whereas ATAPI drives are very
common and also widely supported under alternative means of making a
computer do something (i.e. Win)

But maybe later...

Regards:
         Szilveszter Adam