Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:55:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld.

Sent: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 05:47:15 -0800 by Juli Mallett

+ What sorts of problems are you running into?  Also, how old was your
+ kernel, and how old is your userland?  With no more info, I'd prolly
+ advise you to update everything to the latest, and if problems persist,
+ rebuild your GNOME stuff, and if problems persist, throw exception...
+
+ But the latter bits of that are a bit drastic, depending on the hw!

    As drastic as that sounds, you save time! Even when you
    have been tracking CURRENT since FreeBSD 1.

    I had 300+ entries in the package table, most of which
    were running until the compiler/loader changes on 15
    Aug. Nothing but trouble trying to build new ports.

    Configure blew out, etc.

    After the configure problem, a 'find' for a stray 'cpp'
    turned up a 1998 gcc copy labeled 'unknown-freebsd-2.2'
    in /usr/local/lib/gcc...!

    That did it...

    The really critical stuff like apache with PHP/SSL/etc,
    Postfix, etc. I maintain outside the loop, and were
    giving me no problems --I just rebuilt them. But, on the
    rest, I had spent close to 10 days with generally poor
    results. Finally, X ran...

    I had been updating daily from cvs, so I set DESTDIR for
    a 2G partition and ran installworld for it. Then one
    by one I wasted /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/include,
    /usr/lib, /usr/libexec, /usr/sbin --even X, and tar'd
    from the fresh installworld --permissions and all. Other
    than my critical programs (I wiped 1.5 gigs off
    /usr/local) there was trash there that was older than
    the 1998 gcc! --even the main directories were a mess.

    I flushed /var/db/pkg and started over, pulling packages
    first for X and its requirements, then Xemacs, Mozilla,
    and Gimp --all from snapshot, installing pre-requisites
    manually before each of the packages. I only have 60
    packages installed --don't know what the other 240
    entries were, but obviously they were just burning space.

    The bottom line is that I spent ONE day doing a TOTAL
    fresh system --but I wasted 10 days before getting
    smart --and, I don't have any historical baggage.

    Frankly, even permitting upgrade from 4+ is suicidal.

    Yes... YMMV

	attila out!