Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:34:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jose Luis Scanferlato <jls@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles with PPP

On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Jose Luis Scanferlato wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to connect to my ISP using FreeBSD. I've followed all the
> instructions in the handbook & faq and I succeeded -just once- using ppp.
> Then I tried to use pppd. The pppd example in the handbook suggests using
> kermit, but I used chat (why do you suggest using something which is not
> included in the distribution CD?). Anyway, pppd refused to work so I decided
> to go back to ppp, but it does not work anymore :-(
>
> Using ppp, after dialing I get:
>         Dial OK!
>         Login OK!
>         ppp ON guayaibi> Packet mode

Type 'add 0 0 HISADDR' here.

> But when I try to ping mbox.vol.it, I get something like "no route to host".
>
> Other error messages:
> - A few minutes after system startup, on the console appears:
>   "Deleting route to interface tun0 (timed out)"
>   Is there something wrong in /etc/sysconfig?  (Yes, it has routedflags=-s)

Disable routed.  It does bad things to the ppp routing.

> Another question: during the only successful connection, I mailed myself a
> test message and it came back with the From: header set to "Charlie Root
> <root@localhost.vol.it>". How do I set sendmail.cf (or whatever) to "My Real
> Name <jlscanf@mbox.vol.it>" and the Reply To field as "jls@acm.org" ?

You can't bother sendmail to do this, you have to modify your mail client.
Pine can do this through the 'customized-headers' option.  I have mine set
to:

and that does the job.

If you want to get your real name on the mail, write from your own account
and not root's.