Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 20:01:13 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Wilko Bulte' <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: as2100 saga continues: memory trouble? *sigh*

Dear Wilko,

> > When I type "show memory" on the monitor prompt I see that
> > I have one memory
> > board with 128MB (which is good) but it also says "bad
> > pages 4096" (which I
> > suspect is bad). I cannot remove the one board, for obvious
> > reasons.
>
> You are in deep sh* ...

Yeah, I was just in denial. Thanks for slapping me out of it.

> I had a similar AS2100A memory problem and while VMS is smart
> enough to not use the bad pages, FreeBSD is not as smart. You
> will need to get a working memory board.

Ok.

I know that the topic of in-kernel bad RAM testers/ignorers has been flogged
to death repeatedly. I distinctly remember arguing that they are
unneccessary when you always buy memory boards in pairs. Stung by my own
ignorance.

Suppose that I know the bad memory range, any way of telling FreeBSD not to
use it? Perhaps abuse the option ROM device to claim that memory range for
itself?

> [who now regrets having canned the AS2100A]

Grr... :)

    Kees Jan