Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 13:13:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      david griffin <griffin@nell.recompile.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0 Install Issue

hi-

i've been running FreeBSD 2.2.8 on my toshiba portege for awhile now. it
was very easy to install.  i just booted from the standard floppy and did
an FTP install.  it had no problem finding my 3Com Megahertz 10bT PCMCIA
NIC, even though i wasn't using the PAO boot floppy.

when i recently went to install FreeBSD 4.0 on the same machine, with
identical hardware, i tried to do it the same way - normal boot disk, FTP
install.  but the installer didn't see my network card.

it's really annoying that something that worked perfectly in 2.2.8 would
not work in 4.0.

dave

    david s griffin
   director of tech