Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 15:40:59 +0100
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@xaa.iae.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Postfix is coming. new uid, gid required.

> >   well....that's a sticky question, we quickly get into the realm of
> >   opinion
>
> You're right, and I have no wish to pour fuel on menacing embers.
> However, I would like to suggest that it might be more appropriate as a
> port until FreeBSD starts shipping _without_ sendmail. It seems silly to
> have both in the src tree.
>
> If this comment does not generate a "Wow, he's absolutely right", I
> beseech fellow list members to leave it alone altogether. It's only an
> opinion and doesn't require discussion if it isn't massively supported
> by people who count. :-)

Having both is a bit overdone, I agree. But we need some mail support
since few packages (daily, cron, etc) seem to definitely want to use it
for reporting.

A risky suggestion might be to make postfix the only one in there. Why?
It's probably a lot easier to configure for starting or small users,
since editing the postfix configs is easier than editing sendmail
configs. And it's a small fast tool for that kind of stuff, I think. I
wonder what hell would break lose if we 'demoted' sendmail to the
portstree though.

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...