Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:27:10 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW, natd, and one big headache

Louis LeBlanc writes:
> On 10/11/01 08:38 AM, David Kelly sat at the `puter and typed:
> > =

> > alias security less +F /var/log/security
> > =

> > For less, I find this useful in ~/.cshrc:
> > =

> > if ( -x /usr/bin/less ) then
> >         setenv  PAGER   /usr/bin/less
> > else if ( -x /usr/local/bin/less ) then
> >         setenv  PAGER   /usr/local/bin/less
> > endif
> > setenv  LESS    '-aisMj5'
> =

> Very cool.  I like it.  I'm gonna snarf that right now :)
>  =

> > The options to less highlight search hits, first hit on line 5 of the=

> > screen, and multiple blank lines are collapsed into one making man pa=
ges
> > easier to read on screen.
> =

> Nice.  One thing to be aware of though is that this causes the first
> page (if there are more than one, anyway) to be passed right over.  I
> backed up to the first page to find that there were several hits there
> that were highlighted as they were scrolled up.  No biggie, though.
> I'll have to play with that less +F deal.  I can't tell just how it
> works.  I'll study that on a 'higher traffic' logfile.

I've been using that LESS environment variable almost unchanged for 8
years or so. The new search failing to find items on the screen the
search started from is such an old problem that its become almost a
feature. Have gotten so used to it that I've quit trying to find a way =

to make it behave better.

The point I like about -a is when a screen is full of highlighted
matches there is no point in pointing out each and every one all over
again on the next n or /. But what I don't like is when its a new search
pattern it should start at the top of the current screen or at the same
line the previous search stopped at.

/^F (slash control-F) will start at the beginning of the file. Wouldn't =

be too bad if one could make all searches start at the beginning by =

default.

-- =

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D