Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:17:34 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 8.0 Performance (at Phoronix)

--nextPart104965870.9efNxPCjiP

HI,

Phoronix recently published a comparative benchmark[1] for FreeBSD 7.2/8.0=
=20
against Linux and OpenSolaris.  I would like to bring some of the good and =
bad=20
to light (in the hopes that the developers with the correct expertise will =
be=20
intrigued). =20

The tests were performed with a 'standard' installation of FreeBSD on a Len=
ovo=20
ThinkPad T61. =20

I've tried to eliminate tests who's performance is a result of compiler=20
differences and/or 3rd party applications and tests who's statistical=20
significance are not so strong (subjective guess). =20

Improvements for FreeBSD 8.0 vs 7.2:
 - 7-Zip Compression (page 3)
 - Timed MAFFT Alignment (page 5)
 - GraphicsMagick (page 5)
 - Threaded IO (64MB Random Write - 32 threads) (page 7)
 - Threaded IO (64MB Read - 32 threads) (page 7)

Regressions for FreeBSD 8.0 vs 7.2:
 - Gzip compressions of a 2GB file (page 3)
 - C-Ray (page 4)
 - Threaded IO (64MB Write - 4 threads) (page 7)
 - Threaded IO (64MB Write - 32 threads) (page 7)

Poor performance relative to Linux and OpenSolaris
 - Threaded IO (especially random writes) (page 7)
 - OpenSSL (RSA 4096bit) (page 8)
 - PostMark (disk transaction) (page 8)

It appears that threaded activity on UFS does not fair well against Linux/e=
xt4=20
and OpenSolaris/ZFS.  Phoronix intends to do a comparative test against=20
=46reeBSD and OpenSolaris on ZFS.=20

Regards,

David

1)=20