Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 22:31:47 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Keith Leonard <keithl@gil.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp problem

> > ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep
> > 	pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATDT*server number here* CONNECT ""\
>         ^^^^
>
> Ack.  Did you try ppp?  (your name is familiar, I can't remember)
>
> Your chat script will work as is with ppp, for the most part.  (May have
> to be separated because of the way ppp does it)

It will also work for pppd.  "ppp is a finicky beast." *grin*

The nice thing about pppd and chat, is that you can set debug on it and
get a nice blow-for-blow log of the chat interactions.

> Nice thing about ppp is that you can do `set debug chat' and get a nice
> blow-for-blow log of the chat interaction.
>
> I would really suggest using ppp if possible, pppd is a finicky beast.

I would really suggest continuting to use pppd, since ppp isn't always
stable.

[ This was all intended as humor.  No offense should be taken.  Humor,
see the smileys. :) :) :) :) :) :) ]

In any case, there is no clear-cut answer as to using ppp vs. pppd.  As
the summary that was given a while back gave, 'ppp' is generally easier
to setup, but 'pppd' tends to be more stable over the long-haul and uses
less resourcs.

What I'd *really* love is if someone who champion ppp and fix all it's
bugs. :)

Nate