Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:26:45 -0600
From:      Ken Thompson <spooky@cableone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE-Startup Files

On Sunday 08 June 2003 03:35 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 03:10:13PM -0600, Ken Thompson wrote:
> > Where do I put things to load during boot, things like loading modules
> > and starting kdm?? Poked about some and am working my way through the
> > complete bsd #3 as well as the "book" which I downloaded, but I haven't
> > found reference to the above, yet..
> > Thanks to all in advance.
>
> things you install from the ports or through packages get started from
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ . Things in the base system get configured to start
> in /etc/rc.conf and ge tstarted by scripts in /etc/rc.d (for 5.0 and
> later). kdm gets started through /etc/ttys (I think... maybe there is also
> a different method). Modules can be loaded from /boot/loader.conf.
>
> hope that helps, t.

I sure did.. Still having some problems though.
Reading the help/readme for /boot/loader.conf, I took it as being able to put
"load snd_sb16" (without the quotes) in and it would load the sb16 module at
bootup - tried load snd_sb16 and just snd_sb16 and neither one would load the
module.. It loads OK using kldload snd_sb16 from a root term.
What am I doing wrong?
I added a line for ttys9 to /etc/ttys to start kdm but am still getting xdm
started too, I did comment out the line for ttys8 where the xdm stuff is..
Doesn't that file recognize the "#" as a comment or is there another way to
do it??
Thanks again for the help,
--
Ken Thompson WA7SYR
Payette, Idaho

Linux- Coming Soon To A Desktop Near You
Registered Linux User #183936