Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:20:26 -0300
From:      Joseph Mingrone <jrm@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Noah Mogensen <mogensenn@sou.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCPS, Space Communication Protocol Standards

On Thu, 2023-10-12 at 20:51, Noah Mogensen <mogensenn@sou.edu> wrote:

> Hello, myself and a few other students are interested in taking on a
> project, and the SCPS implementation project from the ideas page seemed
> interesting to us. I was wondering whether this would still be a relevant,
> useful project? I had to use the wayback machine to get what little
> information was available on the protocols (beyond the actual spec), and I
> couldn't find any info about its adoption elsewhere.
> We're still discussing possible projects, and if this particular project is
> outdated, we can rule it out and find something else that piques our common
> interest. But, as I said before, SCPS seemed particularly interesting.

Hi Noah,

SCPS does sound interesting, and I agree it's difficult to find recent
information.  Did you come across this older document?  It has some
interesting content.

https://yazzy.org/docs/SCPS/SCPS_GATEWAY_v1.2.1.doc

        The SCPS transparent gateway will operate on either the FreeBSD
        or the Linux operating system.  It was originally developed for
        the FreeBSD operating system.

If you're still interested, maybe we could try to find this old
implementation and explore how difficult it would be to get it working
on a supported version of FreeBSD?

Do you have more information about your project?  How much time do you
have?  Are projects restricted to networking, or are any operating system
projects possible?

Joe