Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 15:30:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> Darren Reed wrote:
> >
> > In some mail from Jonathan M. Bresler, sie said:

[SNIP]
> > > 	no thanks.
> >
> > Might I add, that a constantly changing 2.2-STABLE is the equivalent of
> > the "linux kernel club of the week".  At times, FreeBSD-current is a "kernel
> > of the week" club in many ways too, as is NetBSD-current.
>
> 	absolutely!   no doubt about it.  that is what the -current label
> 	is supposed to imply--currently under developement.
> 	wanna run -current on your box?  cool, but BE CAREFUL ;)

Might I add that although the -CURRENT tree is certainly "kernel of the
week", which it is intended to be, the -STABLE branch (which is what you
get when you sup RELENG_2_2) really isn't like that. It's *stable*,
meaning that changes ar introduced to make the system *stabler*. Gee,
wonder why they call it -STABLE? ;-)

Changes don't happen too often to -STABLE when compared to -CURRENT, which
is where the "kernel of the week" comparision to linux breaks. -STABLE is
a great idea - quite possibly the #1 reason why I switched to FreeBSD from
Linux a year and a half ago.

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert