Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:39:58 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Very slow SSh since upgrading machines to RELENG_4_8

> This sounds suspiciously like DNS timing out. I seem to remember this is
> due to the fact the default config of sshd now enables privilege
> seperation. sshd chroots into /var/empty and therefore can't access
> /etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf etc.

O.K., that sounds like its the problems - though doesnt explain why the
timeout only occurrs between machines on the same subnet, rather than
those on differing subnets. I'll give it a go. Possibly the split
horizon DNS should be my best option, though its not something I;ve
ever done before and am thus slightly reticent...

cheers,

-pcf.