Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/34038

The following reply was made to PR docs/34038; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:40:05 +0100

 Hello,

 On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 05:10:37PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
 > I am going to defend the hours of work I did on this document...

 Understandable:-)

 > Okie, may I do this though?  I hope as the author my reasons will be as
 > worthwhile has his!

 Sure! I read your mail with great interest!

 > http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj
 >
 > and I wish to point out Nik Clayton's document suggestion method: tar,
 > gzip, uuencode.  For more information about submitting documentation for
 > the Docproj, please see the docproj webpage about submitting
 > documentation located at:
 > http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/submitting.html
 > I know thats kinda cut short, but in essance sums up the uuencode and
 > the gzip.  Many people have submitted uuencoded zipped files and have
 > had ABSOLUTLY no problems.

 OK I take it back then. (Sigh) I still think that tar-ing a single file
 is overkill, simply uuencoding it would have even preserved the indent,
 but since it is not a patch, even that is not that important. I was just
 thinking along the line: Make it easy for me to deal with it without
 going over a lot of steps to decode it first. But if it is in the docs,
 I shall shut up:-)

 > From the mergemaster(8) man page, under DESCRIPTION, and an exact quote:
 > "mergemaster is a Bourne shell script which is designed to aid you in
 > updating the various configuration and other files associated with FreeBSD."
 >
 > If in some point and time, bash and Bourne again somehow demerged, I
 > think that many universities, companies, oganizations, and other
 > entities are very miss informed...

 <...>

 > See my above statement... I'm almost positive that mergemaster(8) is in
 > the base system.

 Well, this seems like a case of "miss informed" (sic!) statement then. The
 Bourne shell is not bash. Bash is the Bourne *Again* Shell. The confusion
 is even made bigger by the fact that many Linux distros simply symlink
 sh to bash. But our /bin/sh is not bash, I can tell you.

 > From the handbook: CTM uses a push method, cvsup uses a pull method, so
 > its obvious that CTM is more friendly on the server bandwidth...

 You are correct but I do not talk about the server side. When you
 upgrade your system, you are just using the server. I was talking about
 the client side, as I assume you were too in the article.

 > I actually tested this on a 2.2.5 cd that came with an older version of
 > "The Complete FreeBSD" written by core member Greg Lehey, took some of
 > the information from /usr/src/Makefile, and even read over various
 > materials associated with my project.  I even went as far, as to read
 > over Greg's methods and information... and talked with a few developers
 > on the issue.

 Well if you did test this then I apologise. I still think that it is not
 the "supported" method though, there were times when you could not
 upgrade even from 3.4 to say 4.2 via "make world" without first going
 through 3.x->3.5.1-STABLE->4.0->4.2. It was discussed several times on
 the mailing lists that if it works otherwise OK but if you have
 problems, always try this way before complaining. I think docs should be
 "safe" and document only the supported methods.

 > Umm, the Handbook is where I obtained most of my refs, and I will agree
 > that the handbook lacks upgrading information, but it is one of the
 > things on my to do list.  Unfortunatly, like many, I also lack many free
 > hours that could be put to better use.

 I think we have a misunderstanding here. I think that the Handbook very
 much has info on upgrading, although it probably could be improved. But
 this article does not add much to what is already in the Handbook. If
 you read the various chapters on installation, on obtaining FreeBSD, on
 staying up to date with FreeBSD under "The Cutting Edge", and on using make
 world in the same chapter, you will see that almost all is there
 already, including stuff you did not describe like CTM, only the "make
 upgrade" part is missing. Of course it is nice that you have it now in
 one article instead of all over the Handbook, but it is still IMHO
 duplication. That is why it is IMHO better idea to just patch the
 existing Handbook... also, as I said, some people may prefer shorter
 tutorials instead of the Handbook but that is a different story.

 --
 Regards:

 Szilveszter ADAM
 Szombathely Hungary