Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:50:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

Mikael Karpberg said:
> According to John S. Dyson:

> > > I was hoping to see SMP (in ANY form), kernel threads, RAID, and
> > > softupdates, and maybe some TCP stuff, SACK, etc..
> > > But RAID, and SMP, and softupdates isn't bad.
>
> Can't the current model with SMP be smoothed a bit, to be more of a release
> material, and we can at least have non-finegrained-locking SMP? I mean,
> SMP is the big thing for 3.0, and what if there has to be a lot of frobbing
> done before 3.1 comes out to make it finegrained? It's still nice to have
> at least the current SMP level available. It DOES help, after all, and even
> the fact that it doesn't ignore more CPUs completely might attract more
> people to buy SMP machines, and from there we draw new SMP hackers. IMHO.

To make the kernel have fine-grained locking, it will be approx 6-12 man
mos.  These changes need to be made by people who are very knowledgeable about
the entire kernel.  These people are in great demand, and that would push 3.0 out
into 1999.  I am working on some changes to the kernel that will help SMP
performance significantly, but they don't make our SMP "fine grained."  This
is indeed very very difficult work.

> Oh well... I'm rambling as usual. Any comments?

You *definitely* make very valid points, but 2.2.X is becoming too difficult
to maintain, and people are too tempted to use -current (with negative
consequences.)  This is a difficult judgement call, and I don't think the
decisions have been made final.