Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:54:43 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI device numbers

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 10:52:54PM -0500, Mike Jeays wrote:
> I have at present two emulated SCSI devices on my system; a USB flash
> drive, and a DVD-writer.
>
> They get assigned:
>
>  0,0,0     0) 'SanDisk ' 'Cruzer Micro    ' '2033' Removable Disk
>  2,0,0   200) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4160B' 'A300' Removable CD-ROM
>
> if the USB device is present at boot time (I think).

One possibility might be to make the umass driver a module and keep
atapicam compiled into the kernel, or make them both modules, but always
load atapicam first.  This will cause usb storage devices to always come
later since they won't be detected until the umass module is loaded.

P.S.  Does freebsd do anything to autoload modules that might interfere?