Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:13:17 +0200
From:      "Adrian Penisoara" <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
To:        shildreth@allantgroup.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Preparing an Oracle Database XE port/package -- any tips ?

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Scott T. Hildreth <
shildret@scotth.emsphone.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 16:36 +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   After having to deploy an Oracle Database XE [1] installation (with
> Linux
> > 32bit binaries from the official RPM package) on a production FreeBSD
> > 6.2machine I realized it would be very much feasible to produce a
> > FreeBSD
> > port/package for it.
> >   I would like to know whether similar efforts have been undergoing and
> > whether people came up with some tips & tricks on this.
> >
> >  The goal is not only to add the port into FreeBSD's ports tree but also
> > eventually convince Oracle (I work for them) to post the package on
> their
> > official download page.
>
>   I wonder if 10g will run on 7.0.  I am running 9.2.0.8, but I think
> 10g might need the 2.6 kernel.

Actually Oracle XE is based on Oracle 10.2.0.1:

$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 07-MAR-2008 21:06:55

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

$ sysctl compat.linux.osrelease
compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2

$ uname -r
6.2-STABLE

 Installation docs say OracleXE is certified for RH Linux Fedora Core 4
(among others) which is just fine for us using emulators/linux_base-fc4 as a
dependency.

Regards,
Adrian