Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:14:01 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@freebsd.org>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   Re: Style Challenge!

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 11:55:21AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 06-Oct-99 Narvi wrote:

> >> It's much more readable in my opinion, and it does seem to be the
> >> way
> >> things are being done currently.
> >>

> > They aren't. About half of the articles are that way.
> >
> > The same applies to the handbook. A lot of the periods have only one
> > space
> > following them.
> >
> > I would vote for removing the double periods, not expanding the
> > others to
> > two. Or leaving them alone.
>
> Check the archives; we've already had this discussion (is this going to
> be the async-kernel syscalls debate of -doc?!?) and the final decision
> was to use two (2) spaces between sentences.

I remember the debate, but I never understood why the hell it is
so important. It seems to be that different countries have differing
rules on this, but to be honest, when reading docs and e-mail I
don't notice whether there are 2 spaces or only one (especially in

Having standards and adhering to them *is* important in any project
but it is possible to go OTT and this seems to be a case in point.
We have a similar thing at work with coding; the CoP states that
line continuation \'s should have no preceding space ( if(blah)\ )
but half of us use one ( if(blah) \ ).

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.