Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:42:36 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mathias_K=F6rber?= <Mathias.Koerber@nominum.com>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.2.2-P5 Possible DOS

[I think I really need to put a maintainer file somewhere since people
seem to want to discuss everything associated with BIND and resolvers on
any list except directly including me in the discussion.]

-On [20001111 22:20], Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com) wrote:
>I'm currently in a Singapore Linux User group meeting, and we were
>discussing this matter.  Mathias Körber of Nominum is of the opinion
>that it's wrong to use BIND 8.2.3-T6b in -STABLE.  He also doubts that
>this particular bug is fixed in this version.  I don't have enough
>knowledge of the issues to comment.  Does anybody else?

I have already informed the security-officer about everything and have
reported some results back to the bugtraq list.

Also, the issue of BIND 8.2.3-T5/6B has already been pointed out by Mark
Andrews of Nominum way back when T5B got MFC'd by Paul Saab.

I also worked on resolving the AA problem with T6B by hints and patches
from Mark.

After some testing I found that T5B and subsequently T6B don't have the
ZXFR problem.  Monitoring the BIND mailinglist and the ISC website I
came to the conclusion that 8.2.3-T3B and onwards do not have any
security issues.  At least not the ones published on the website, and
this, T6B at least, has at least been verified by Mark Andrews.

8.2.2-P5, however, does have a problem, and I am already working on
preparing patches against the latest 3-STABLE in order to get the
8.2.2-P7 into the 3-STABLE sourcecode repository.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands