Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:18:00 -0400
From:      "Eric I. Arnoth" <earnoth@home.com>
To:        "freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HP pavillion laptop

All:

I've purchased an HP Pavillion n6395 laptop, and have had wonderful success
with the video drivers, but I have not been able to compile a kernel which
makes use of the ESS Maestro PCI sound chip.  I've added the

device pcm
option PNPBIOS

and did the "cd /dev;sh MAKEDEV snd0" command, but I still get the error
"/dev/dsp not configured".  I've tried playing with loadable kernel modules
(for which I've found little literature or documentation) but only
succeeded in locking up my box when I unloaded the snd.ko module.  :-P

If anyone could give me assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Eric

PS - as a bonus question, I'm also trying to get the USB Iomega CDR
working.   The kernel recognizes usb, but I'm not sure what to do about
wcd.  LINT says it requires wdc, but that says it's incompatible with adc.
 I'm a bit confused, I fear.