Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:22:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      chris@bb.cc.wa.us
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   conf/2775: Syscons in 2.2 wont work with Diamond Speedstar pro se

>Number:         2775
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       Syscons in 2.2 wont work with Diamond Speedstar pro se
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I can't install FreeBSD 2.2-Gamma or 3.0-Current on my machine.  It
is a pentium 100, 64 Meg of ram, 6G disk space, Adaptech 2940 controller
SCSI 2 Fast/Wide Barracuda drives. (4G,2G) , Diamond Stealth Speedstar Pro
SE Video Card with 1 Meg of Ram.  At boot-up it just starts flashing colors
where the letters should be.  I think this is a syscons problem.

Then I changed out the Video Card to a Trident card. (both are pci)  It didnt
have the same problem. The flashing stuff went away.  But I still couldn't
install 2.2-GAMMA.  It got all the way through the probe stuff, then
it just didn;t do any thing.  The last line was APM powermanagment disabled,
not probed.  It just sat there.
>How-To-Repeat:
It happened once before when I tried to go to 2.2-Current from 2.1.5 I ended
up going to 2.1.6 instead. I never could get to 2.2 anything.