Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Anthony DiPierro <dipierro5@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   looking for ammo

Hi,

I'm looking for some ammo to convince a client of mine
to use freebsd vs. solaris for a server environment.
Technically, we're looking at high numbers of
simultaneous TCP connections in a robust scalable
environment.  I already have cdrom.com, hotmail.com,
and yahoo.com as a list of others in a high scale
environment using freebsd.  cdrom.com is more in the
space I'm developing for (long term FTP/TCP
connections, as opposed to short term HTTP/TCP
connections), but this would be a much higher number
of connections (more like 500,000 vs 5,000, not
necessarily on one box of course), at a much lower
bandwidth.  If anyone can give me an example of a
freebsd box supporting something like that (or knows
what aol or msns instant messenger servers are
running), that would be perfect information.  I also
have wonderful free support (through the freebsd-
mailing lists), access to source code, free os
software, cheap os hardware on the freebsd side.  I
was looking for some more technical documentation,
especially something showing scalabilty in the TCP
stack.  Of course, if this just isn't the case, I hope
someone is willing to show that too.  If comparison
numbers aren't available, any freebsd specific numbers
would be helpful too.  I'll be looking for a
solaris-advocacy mailing list, but something tells me
I'm better off just calling their sales for this.

TIA,