Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:21:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Colin <cwass99@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd inconsistencies

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Colin wrote:

> I've just finished setting up FreeBSD 4.0R with ipfw and natd and I've noticed
> either a discrepency between the actual functionality and the man page or a
> misunderstanding on my part.
>      The man page recommends putting the divert rule as close to the beginning
> of the rule set as possible, and the default rule sets seem consistent
> with this.  I noticed, though, that if I didn't put the rule "deny ip from
> 192.168.0.0/24 to any in recv ed1" before the divert rule nothing from my
> internal network (which just happens to be 192.168.0.0/24) would get through. I
> assume the prevent-spoofing rules for private networks rules would have the sam
> e issue depending on the internal network used.  I also noticed several other
> default rules caused some problems.

This rule would block traffic destined for your own network -- you
antispoofed yourself!  :)  It *MUST* be before translation takes place,
and also make sure ed1 is the external interface.

The 'log' option and 'ipfw show' are handy for firewall debugging.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org