Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:11:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        scottb@jigsaw.sri.com (Scott Banachowski)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress support?

> I haven't had any luck getting freebsd to recognize an Intel
> EtherExpress PRO/100 PCI card at /dev/ix0 (the supposed driver for this
> card).  It does find the card when probing the PCI bus, but prints a
> message along with it that says: no driver loaded.
> Is the PCI version of this card not supported,
> or am I doing something wrong?

Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 PCI != Intel EtherExpress 16.  The if_ix.c
driver supports the Intel EtherExpress 16 _only_, not the Pro version
or the PRO/100.  The PRO/100B is supported by the if_fxp.c driver,
the PRO/100 is not supported at this time, and I do not know the status
of when it will be, if ever.

Intel has done a great disservice to the user communties by giving very
similiar names to products that are quite different.  The Ether Express
16 uses an 82586 chip, the Ether Express Pro uses something else, and
the Ether Express Pro/100 yet another chip.  I am not clear on the difference
between a Pro/100 and a Pro/100B.