Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 21:24:34 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ELF and a.out disagreements.

"Oleg V. Volkov" <rover@lglobus.ru> probably said:

> > Can't say I'd want my normal users to be messing with ldconfig ...
>
> They don't have to - it's up to SysAdmin.

*sigh*

I specified quite deliberately "as a user" because thats what I wanted
to know, how to do this without breaking things, as a user.

I ask because not everything on a system is done by a sysadmin, and if
a _normal_ _user_ wants to use a program that requires extra dynamic
libraries the obvious way to do this is via LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but if
this clashes with existing libraries lots of things can fail to
run.  To me, that is broken.

Clearer ?

P.

--