Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:20:50 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Identity theft

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 11:59:24AM -0700, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

> I also love when people use one of my email addresses to subscribe
> to services or download demos where they ask for an email address.

This or a slight variation of it is what made me a stubborn advocate
of using Unix as the OS of the workstations at my University
(something that did not really happen, but that is another story).

The main problem was that with OSes that are not truly `multiuser',
the few programs that support the notion of `profiles' are wide open
to use (and abuse) by anyone sitting in front of the machine.

Having the feature of `profiles' in Outlook or Netscape in Windows
machines never stopped anyone from sending mail with their From: set
to *my* *profile's* address.  When things started to get really wild,
I just formatted a couple of machines and installed Linux.  Then I
could telnet to our Sun machines and read my mail like every descent
Unix guy is supposed to do, with elm / pine / mutt / whatever :)

After having deleted all the profiles that had _my_ address from all
the machines of our computer center (which took, the greatest part of
an afternoon), for some strange reason, the spam mail that I receive
was drastically reduced!  Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

-giorgos