Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:26:37 +0100
From:      Volker Kindermann <ml@ps102.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring PF

Hi Pat,

> Is there any place I can find a good default ruleset for a server, and
> just change what ports I want open?

pf originates at openbsd. There you'll find lots of documentation, the
pf-faq, and the (as always in the BSD world) excellent manpages.

In addition there's the pf-repository at: https://solarflux.org/pf/

And there are some books which include examples.

> Also, I've noticed that some rulesets will have different flags and
> keep state on for certain TCP ports, but not others.  For example, at
> https://www.section6.net/help/pf.php I found:
> #WebServer, HTTPS, 8000
> pass in on $extif proto tcp from any to any port 80 flags S/SA
> pass in on $extif proto tcp from any to any port $tcp_services flags
> S/SA synproxy state
>
> tcp_services is {22, 443}
>
> I don't understand why they use synproxy state for 22 and 443, but not 80

Because synproxy as a security feature has a drawback: speed. Do you
understand what synproxy does? It completes the three-way-handshake at
the firewall first and only if this succeds it forwards the connection
to the (web)server. This takes some small amount of time.

Acceptable with protocolls like ssh and https but mostly unacceptable
with http.

  -volker