Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 09:30:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>, spork <spork@super-g.com>, FreeBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd hosting.

> : In correlation, I believe T1's are horridly expensive out West also, so
> : DSL, even if there is a slight downtime, is much more cost-effective than
> : a PTP or Frame circuit (this is my own guess, not based on any hard
> : evidence).
>
> Depends on that business really. If you're in a line of work where any
> downtime upsets a large group of customers, downs their web pages, and
> so forth, it's far better to take the extra cost involved. I agree that
> if you want to provide an office with a high bandwidth solution, DSL is
> the way to go. I however do not trust it for production hosting on any
> application that requires 24/7 uptime.

Interestingly enough, I'm using DSL for 'home office' work, and I've got
a script that measures reliability (pings, etc...) that has run for well
over 4 months.

In that time, I've had 15 seconds of down-time related to DSL, and 10
minutes of downtime related to my ISP re-configuring his Cisco 2-3 times
which shutoff access in the middle of the night.

I'd have to say I'm *very* pleased with DSL, howevever, it's a slower
link than most 'commercial' companies would consider acceptable,
256/272K.  But, it works great for my little operation.

Nate