Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:51:15 -0800
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@freebsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Roger Williams <rogerw1962@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world causes error

>> I am trying to update a new machine to the most recent version of freebsd.
>> Im using a 4.2 cd as an intitial install (successful)and trying to upgrade
>> using cvs.  When I run make world, I get the error shown below.
>> I do this all the time and have never seen this error.

kris> Problems with FreeBSD-stable should be sent to the
kris> freebsd-stable@freebsd.org support list.

kris> I've CC'ed Gre Shapiro, who is the person who recently added this
kris> code.

>> mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -p /var
>> mtree: line 63: unknown user smmsp
>> *** Error code 1

As described in the handbook, you need to merge in new users
(src/etc/master.passwd) and groups (src/etc/group) before a make world will
succeed.