Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:25:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gerry Freymann <freymann@marlo.eagle.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   copying master.passwd from 2.2.5 to 4.1.1

Are there any guides or friendly smart people in here that can assist me
in this task?

I have a FreeBSD 2.5.5 system which we are going to replace with a new box
running FreeBSD 4.1.1

Naturally, I'd like to copy over the /etc/master.passwd file from the old
to the new and retain the usernames and password. I'll edit the /etc/group
file as well.

I've tried this already by doing:

	pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

but none of the passwords are recognized.

It was suggested to me I need to confirm if 2.2.5 is using DES or md5, and
ditto on 4.1.1. This is where I'm lost. How do you find this out?

From what I can see in the master.passwd file, the password length in
2.2.5 is about half the length of the password in 4.1.1

I booted into single user mode, updated the password for root and my
account, then booted back up in normal mode and took a look around.

A grep of the /etc/login.conf for passwd on the 2.2.5 box produces:

	:auth=krb_skey_or_passwd,passwd,kerberos,skey:
        :auth-login=krb_skey_or_passwd,passwd,kerberos,skey:\
        :auth=skey_or_pwd,passwd,skey:

A grep of the /etc/login.conf for passwd on the 4.1.1 box results in
nothing.

Any suggestions? pointer? tips?

Thanks.

Gerry.