Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:50:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      michael@blueneptune.com
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

> Gated is now pay-to-play if you want any of the newer features. See
> www.gated.org for details. Basically it is going to cost you at least
> $12,000 for the first year, and then $10,000 PER YEAR after that. That is
> not trivial for the small to mid-size ISP. That reduces significantly the
> cost savings of chosing a PC over a cisco.

Has anybody been working on a free replacement for GateD?  It's a wonderful
product and all, but IMHO the current pricing scheme flies against the spirit
of the net.  (At least the old spirit anyway, it unfortunately -does- seem
to embody the new spirit.  :-/)

I have nothing against Merit wanting to do what their doing.  If it pays
the research bills, gets things done, and their customers/partners are
happy, then more power to them.  But it would be really cool if there were
a free version available, with active work in progress.  Routing protocols
are far from my forte, so I doubt that I'd get involved directly in such
a project, although I would help where I could.  But surely there are
others out there who feel similarly, who -are- technically up to doing this?
(Yeah, and I know, who have the -time- for that much pro bono work...)

--
Michael Bryan
michael@blueneptune.com