Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2011 22:20:29 +0100
From:      Gabor Radnai <gabor.radnai@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with re0

"The question has come up several times. What should be changed in
re(4) to cover this?"

Well, if this question has come up several times a) it has a reason:
same chip works for some but not for others b) description is not
clear that driver is only supporting this chip if and when ...

Anyhow, one advise to"fix" my problem was to get a decent nic. I did:
Intel Gigabit CT desktop adapter. But still no luck, same symptoms:
insert card to PCI-E x 1 slot, FreeBSD boots, card detected, see
outgoing messages through this card (via tcpdump) but no replies (e.g.
from DHCP server) are processed. I see ip address was offered by DHCP
server but driver does not get/process any answer and sets ip address
to 0.0.0.0 ... and one more new thing from em driver: by reporting
"watchdog timeout - reset" interface is getting down-up frequently.

So, neither RTL8111 nor this Intel 82574L chip is working under
FreeBSD via PCI-E, quite frustrating. Though works under Linux. Might
be a PCI-E related communication issue of FreeBSD? Or is there special
configuration to force PCI-E to work with network cards in network
drivers or sysctl variable am not aware of?