Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:20:50 -0700
From:      "Lynette Tillner" <ltillner@avs-1.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how do I suppress system messages?

This is something that drives me crazy but I've not been able to find a =
way to stop it.=20

When I log into my FreeBSD 4.6 Web Server as root, I get messages from =
sendmail that I can't suppress with dmesg.  They are a real pain because =
they even come across the screen when I'm using VI to edit files and =
then I can't figure out the line I was in the middle of editing, and end =
up doing a :q! and starting over, very frustrating because we get tons =
of mail and it seems like I can't do anything as root because of these =
messages.=20

Is there a command that will suppress the messages?   I remember being =
able to do that when I was working on an HP-UX system but haven't =
figured it out under FreeBSD.

Thanks for any help!

Lynette