Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:38:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter Ross <petros@pps.de>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        drew@planetwe.com
Subject:   Re: FTP and firewall

Hi,

Drew Sanford answered to my question

> > I see five different ways to solve the FTP firewall problem:
> > 1. external FTP server and mirror through the firewall
..
> >    Can I use cpdup (ports collection)?

> I speak typo - I assume you mean cvsup.

No, I meant cpdup ( a mirror tool listed in the ports collection).

cvsup.. thanks for the new idea.

Yesterday I heard an opinion: "make and dependencies". Hmmh.
---
I inherited an old FTP server (SUsE Linux 5.3 - Kernel 2.0.x). This server is
protected fy firewall rules and uses NFS mounts. (My suggestion 4.)

> > 4. firewall with FTP server and NFS access to the company network

Every fortnight I have to reboot the machine..

I checked some articles and books about security and firewalls etc. I found "FTP
is a problem" but not one good advise how to deal with it. So I decided to
discuss the problem here.

It would be nice to know how other administrators solve the problem and what
safety-conscious people think about.
---
Maybe someone did it in the way I tried (internal FTP server and redirect) and
has a firewall rule set? That would be fine.
---
Yesterday I checked the ftpd sources. Has someone used this sources to build a
proxy?

The external ftpd parse the command string and forward it to the internal ftpd.

The external ftpd build requested data connections to the clients and receives
or send data via a second port to the internal ftpd.

Advantage: defined ports through the firewall.

Thanks for every advice or opinion
Peter Ross