Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 20:58:18 +0100
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ambiguity between -STABLE and -RELEASE

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 07:47:23PM +0000, Theo PAGTZIS wrote:

>   just a very basic question that would resolve a dispute between colleagues.
>
> When one talks about Fbsd3.3-STABLE my impression is that such version is a
> stage before the Fbsd3.3-RELEASE. In other words the  -RELEASE is for the
> final version and the -STABLE is the version that is soon (after some further
> bug settling) to become -RELEASE.
>
> Is this the case?

Yes and no, -STABLE is just the newest version of the stable branch, a
-RELEASE is just a "snapshot" of -STABLE at a certain date. So for the
most stable and up to date version, use -STABLE not -RELEASE

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver (JS4261-RIPE), Network manager
Tele Danmark DataNet, IP section (AS3292)