Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:05:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems getting ppp to work with moronic ISP.

I'm attempting to set up a NAT box that dials one of our local ISP's
here so that one of our buildings (who are not yet part of our main
network) can do the Internet-thing.  Before you ask, yes, I have
thought about setting up a dialin server at our main location and
connecting that way, but funds for that aren't coming until later on
this fall, and by that time we'll have fiber run to the building in
question and this won't matter anyway.

I've used iijppp with this provider before I switched to another at
home, and it worked fine, but they have gotten in a new 56k term
server and frankly, they have not, and have never had, a clue.  I'm
not at all familiar with the intricacies of the PPP protocol, but it
looks as if they have the equivalent of iijppp's "openmode passive"
set on their end, and aren't _forcing_ me to grab a valid IP address
from their address pool.  What happens is, if I set "openmode passive"
on my end, it connects, and authenticates, but nothing ever happens.
>From the logs it appears that no IPCP chatter takes place to ever
negotiate the local and peer addresses.  If I set "openmode active" on
my end, the dummy address (in this case 10.0.0.1), set with the
"ifaddr" command in ppp.conf as required for the -auto option, stays
put and never gets changed.  It appears as though their end just
accepts the dummy address as valid and doesn't force me to use a real
address.  I can ping the gateway (their term server), but can't get
any farther than that.  Is there ANY way I can make this work without
yelling at the ISP to get their sh*t set up right? (all the Win95
clients work fine, how do they do it?)

I did notice that their term server tells me what my address should be
before it goes into PPP mode (ala SLIP style), and even attempting to
'set ifaddr' using that address each time gets me nowhere.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */