Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:38:57 -0500
From:      John Lyon <johnllyon@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need Netgraph Help

Hello All,

I'm a new Netgraph user, but am having some problems with a simple Netgraph
script I have written.  Unfortunately, the error message is cryptic and I
can't tell what I am doing wrong since my script closely follows the
example provided in the ng_etf man page.

For some context, I'm trying to filter EAP traffic coming in on my LAN
interface.  Any ethernet frames that correspond to EAP traffic need to be
immediately forwarded from the LAN interface to my WAN interface.  All
other ethernet frames coming in on my LAN interface need to be handled by
the kernel's network stack.  A (horrid) ASCII art representation of my
desired netgraph would look like this:

lower -> em0 -> downstream -> ETF -> no match -> upper em0
                                                           -> match ->
lower em1

The script I have written is this:

    #! /bin/sh
    ngctl mkpeer em0: etf lower downstream
    ngctl name em0:lower lan_filter
    ngctl connect em0: lan_filter: upper nomatch
    ngctl msg lan_filter: setfilter { matchhook="em1:lower"
ethertype=0x888e }

Unfortunately, the last line of my script generates the following error
message:

    ngctl: send msg: Invalid Argument

However, I cannot tell which of my arguments is invalid. Moreover, my
script does not having any glaring differences from the example script
provided by the man page for the Ethernet Filter node (man ng_etf) upon
which my script is based.  I've been googling and googling, but there are
not that many resources and very few Netgraph tutorials (most of them are
copies of each other).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

John L. Lyon
PGP Key Available At:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skmedtscs0tgex7/02150BFE.asc