Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/47114: chmod(1) manpage is wrong about -vv behavior.

The following reply was made to PR docs/47114; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:31:53 +0200

 On 2003-01-15 10:06, swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen) wrote:
 > The chmod(1) manpage's -v description says that the option can be used
 > more than once for some special behavior, while the program doesn't
 > care how many times you use it.  (Confirmed by looking at
 > "/usr/src/bin/chmod/chmod.c".)

 Good catch!  But you are obviously talking about chmod.c in the
 4-STABLE branch.  If you look at the source code of chmod.c in
 5.0-CURRENT you will see the special behavior is there.

 > Patch this:
 > .\" $FreeBSD: src/bin/chmod/chmod.1,v 1.17.2.12 2002/09/18 23:40:35 trhodes Exp $

 I think that the manpage is a result of an MFC (version 1.17.2.10 was
 the one that introduced the changes to chmod.1) which failed to update
 the source code too.  IMHO, the best thing to do would be to keep the
 manpage as it is now and merge the chmod.c stuff too.

 What do you think?