Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 11:17:48 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: war of disinformation (GPL)

At 04:33 AM 5/21/2001, j mckitrick wrote:

>a friend of mine sent me an article that is linux-centered but still has
>some interesting implications.
>
>http://www.consultingtimes.com/ms_infowar.html
>
>the gist of the article here is that the attack on open source is to attack
>IBM, and linux just happens to be in the way.

That's foolish. IBM's Linux strategy is an infinitesimal portion of
its business.

What I suspect that Microsoft is really trying to do is fire up the Linux
fanatics. You see, the GPL is actually *GOOD* for Microsoft, because it
destroys Microsoft's competition but not Microsoft itself. Microsoft
obviously can't collude with the FSF; not only would this bring the threat
of additional antitrust action but the FSF would never cooperate. So, how
to make sure that the GPL camp stays motivated and goes out to make war
on Microsoft's competition? Inflame them with speeches and articles
like Mundie's. Brilliant strategy.

--Brett Glass