Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:36:25 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        muditha@seychelles.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router question

--=====================_23070113==_.ALT

>I am looking for a single IP router to connect to my switch on the main
>ISP lan so that I connect my customer networks via leased-lines. I want
>a router which can hadle about 12 different LANS which means I want it
>to have 12 ports to connect the leased-line modems.

If the leased line modems are syncrhonous, then you don't have a ton of
choices, as I recently found out.  www.etinc.com has new 4-port sync PCI
board, it can go multi-megabit per port (I haven't found any cheaper,
mutliport sync wan that are low-speed only), and can have up to 5
boards/PC, 20 sync WAN ports.  And ET apparently prefers FreeBSD as a
networking OS, but the do have Linux drivers.   $325/port list price, but
if you buy 3 you can probably wangle for VAR/reseller discount.

For the customer premises FreeBSD router, ET has old 1-port ISA board,
which is just fine.  If you have to connect to Cisco, then ET has special
"Cisco-HDLC" option.

The Asus P2B-F mobo has onboard scsi, 5 PCI slots plus AGP slot (ie, video
doesn't require a PCI slot).  A Pentium II/350 is probably the best price
point now and plenty of power to drive 12 serial WAN ports at 256 kbits/sec
each, plus maybe some ipfilter-ing and ipnat-ting.

Len

==========================

>To save the number of IP addresses I want it to be single IP rotuer and
>on the customer end I will setup another single IP router ( connected to
>my router at the ISP...customer router could be a freebsd box running
>NAT).  The rotuer (gateway) on the customer end will have another on of
>my IP addresses and also non-routable IP on its network card. The
>customer gateway and my router will need have 4wire & 2 wire lease-lines
>upto 64Kbps( 4 wire)  depending on the customer needs connected by
>leased-line modems.
>
>Any help and recommendations this will be appreciated.
>
>( ISP-switch--router-modem----LL---modem--NAT box---LAN)
>
>Thanx
>--
>--
>---------------------
>  Muditha Gunatilake
>  Atlas Seychelles Ltd
>
>  Phone:304060
>  email: muditha@seychelles.net
>         mbh3gpa@afs.mcc.ac.uk
>         muditha@creole.seychelles.net
>  :-)

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

--=====================_23070113==_.ALT

to my switch on the main<br>
ISP lan so that I connect my customer networks via leased-lines. I
want<br>
a router which can hadle about 12 different LANS which means I want
it<br>
to have 12 ports to connect the leased-line modems.</blockquote><br>
If the leased line modems are syncrhonous, then you don't have a ton of
choices, as I recently found out.&nbsp;
new 4-port sync PCI board, it can go multi-megabit per port (I haven't
found any cheaper, mutliport sync wan that are low-speed only), and can
have up to 5 boards/PC, 20 sync WAN ports.&nbsp; And ET apparently
prefers FreeBSD as a networking OS, but the do have Linux
drivers.&nbsp;&nbsp; $325/port list price, but if you buy 3 you can
probably wangle for VAR/reseller discount.<br>
For the customer premises FreeBSD router, ET has old 1-port ISA board,
which is just fine.&nbsp; If you have to connect to Cisco, then ET has
special &quot;Cisco-HDLC&quot; option.<br>
The Asus P2B-F mobo has onboard scsi, 5 PCI slots plus AGP slot (ie,
video doesn't require a PCI slot).&nbsp; A Pentium II/350 is probably the
best price point now and plenty of power to drive 12 serial WAN ports at
256 kbits/sec each, plus maybe some ipfilter-ing and ipnat-ting.<br>
Len<br>
==========================<br>
to be single IP rotuer and<br>
on the customer end I will setup another single IP router ( connected
to<br>
my router at the ISP...customer router could be a freebsd box
running<br>
NAT).&nbsp; The rotuer (gateway) on the customer end will have another on
of<br>
my IP addresses and also non-routable IP on its network card. The<br>
customer gateway and my router will need have 4wire &amp; 2 wire
lease-lines<br>
upto 64Kbps( 4 wire)&nbsp; depending on the customer needs connected
by<br>
leased-line modems.<br>
Any help and recommendations this will be appreciated.<br>
( ISP-switch--router-modem----LL---modem--NAT box---LAN)<br>
Thanx<br>
--<br>
--<br>
---------------------<br>
&nbsp;Muditha Gunatilake<br>
&nbsp;Atlas Seychelles Ltd<br>
&nbsp;Phone:304060<br>
&nbsp;email: muditha@seychelles.net<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mbh3gpa@afs.mcc.ac.uk<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
muditha@creole.seychelles.net<br>
&nbsp;:-)<br>
with &quot;unsubscribe freebsd-isp&quot; in the body of the
message</blockquote></html>