Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:36:58 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Mike <mike@sixpak.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2 and X (now moving to the Ports system)

Mike wrote:

> I guess the next step is the CVS Tree? (or something like that) I configured
> it once, so can do it again, but is it upgrading my 4.2 for me? Giving me
> updates? or what?  Can someone explain this thing a little better to me?

I usually use cvsup, but there are a variety of ways to keep you system
in sync. In any case, there are two parts to your system, the sources
and the ports. I never bother with keeping the sources up to date. 4.3
will be here soon enough and I'm patient. I do keep the ports tree up to
date though.

If you do decide to update your sources and do all that "build world"
stuff, remember that the Handbook says that you *MUST* subscribe to
freebsd-current and/or freebsd-stable.

David