Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 22:21:19 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Testimonial

J Wunsch shared with us:
> As Peter Korsten wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure, but I think c't means something like 'Computer-Technik'
> > - though they'd normally say 'Komputer'. Perhaps I should check.
>
> No German i've ever seen would spell it with a K.

Then I guess I've been reading the wrong magazines. Perhaps I
should have been reading "Bravo" instead of computer magazines;
it could have made a difference in social skills. :)

> > You could also learn German. :) You'd only have get to get used to
> > the rather typical German habit of translating every computer-
> > related word.
>
> Hey, c'mon.  The slavic languages translate way more stuff. :-) Or at

Even more? My reference is mainly the Amiga Magazine of Markt&Technik,
plus a bit of c't and Chip (don't know whether that still exists,
it used to be some kind of German Byte). About the only think they'd
didn't translate was 'gadget', simply because there wasn't a suitable
translatation, except for perhaps 'dingsda'.

> least, they spell it how it's spoken.  One of the weirst things i've
> seen 10 years ago was the Russian spelling of BASIC.  German is now
> actually swamped by English vocabulary, not only in the computer
> language.  It's already beginning to be embarassing, and English is
> quite often now called `Neudeutsch'.

Ah, it could be worse. One country to the west, for instance. (For
the geographically impaired, that's the Netherlands.) Sometimes I
have to point out to people that there are actually Dutch words
for what they're saying. And on my business cards, I will be called
'IT consultant'. (Which is a bunch of crap, because I'm a programmer,
but who'd want to talk to just a programmer?) It's very bad in my
line of business.

In Belgium it's even more weird. On the one had, there's a contro-
versy between the Dutch speaking (Flemish) and French speaking
(Wallonian) parts of the country. On the other hand, there's a
trend to replace original Dutch words by 'Dutchified' words that
come from, right, French.

One funny anecdote from having trouble with foreign languages comes
from fireworks from the Far East. Instead of 'Vuurwerk niet in de
hand houden' it said 'Vuurwerk niet in de hond houden'. So, instead
of saying 'Don't hold the fireworks in your hand' it said 'Don't
hold the fireworks in your dog'.

- Peter