Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 11:50:20 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

> Date:          Fri, 23 Aug 1996 23:03:44 +0200 (MET DST)
> From:          Stefan Esser <se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
> To:            "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
> Cc:            se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser), michaelv@headcandy.com,
>                jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:       Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

Much deleted here...

> There have been real bugs (and real nasty bugs :) in the driver, and
> there most probably are still some more (in which driver aren't any ?).
> And I'm very interested in further improving the quality of the code.
> But I found that I can't do this besides my current job (there are
> only so many hours to a day ...) and I'm really wondering whether it
> is a good idea to spend all of my vacation on this.
>
> It's as simple as this ...
>
> Regards, STefan

Your work is appreciated by many out here!  I don't think you should
blow your vacation on updating the driver unless that it what you
enjoy doing.  Some people on this newsgroup need to realize that we
are getting immeasurably valuable services for free, and the people
who provide them deserve nothing but praise (and the occasional bug
report).  I am sure Mr Grimes did not intend to denigrate you or your
work in any way.  He has always been helpful to both myself and the
FreeBSD community at large and I certainly don't include him in the
group of people who sometimes appear ungrateful for the services
rendered by others - quite the contrary.

Maybe the next time someone sends a bug to the author of a driver (or
any part of the system, for that matter) a short word of thanks is in
order for what they have done so far.

I better stop now before I end up running for public office!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me by making FreeBSD available.

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com