Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 01:18:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rob <rob@enigma.gctr.net>
To:        Fred Souza <cseg@kronus.com.br>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nmap OS detection

Unless I'm mistaken, Nmap remote OS detection use's a tcp packet with the
FIN / URG / PUSH flags set. This would explain why you were unable to
determine your OS when you had the net.inet.tcp.drop_synfin kernel option
set. Pherhaps your router is dropping such packets? Try to plug two
machines in to a hub, disable the kernel options and your filtering rules,
and then try this again.

Hope that helps.

 Rob