Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 08:51:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sherman F Mui <smui@sparta.sjsu.edu>
To:        Fred Cawthorne <fcawth@squid.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ft problems

On Wed, 4 Jan 1995, Fred Cawthorne wrote:

> BTW, what's a 200 meg tape?? Is it a long dc2120 or something???
> remember that alot of these people like to quote compressed capacities
> for their tape drives.  A normal "250" meg drive is really 120 meg,
> etc...

It's actually a 200 meg tape, uncompressed. I think it's a new drive by
conner that uses QIC-WIDE format and is 420 compressed. Maybe this is the
problem. But the Windows software it comes with says it's a QIC-80...

> Ok...  the ft driver does automatic volume switching...  You don't need
> to tell dump anything about the length of the tape, etc...
> (This is a good thing, since when doing compressed backups, you can't
> know how much will fit on the tape and you must otherwise guess...)
> ft will prompt you to put in a new tape when the end is reached.
> (It opens /dev/tty to interact with you, so the pipe won't get messed up
> even)

Hmm, I tried dump without specifying the tape length, same thing.

> I have successfully used dump and restore with a colorado "250" meg tape
> drive, both compressed and uncompressed.

A lot of people have said this one works well. Maybe I should exchange
'em. Does it come with a 3 drive floppy ribbon? I've had to disable my
5.25" floppy.

> Hmmm.  Don't know about this one, I always use dump since I like the
> interactive mode (:

Interactive mode?

> Yeah... There was something in the source about this bug being fixed, but
> somehow I don't think so...
> I have seen this when I tried to use a bad tape.  Try another one.
> (I even reformatted it successfully, but it still didn't work right)
> I just tried a new preformatted tape and it worked fine...

Hmm, I'm thinking it's my drive that's not really compatible.

	Sherman