Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:41:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Rainer Enders <Rainer.Enders@erilab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEC DE500-BA 21143 in Full-Duplex mode

Rainer Enders writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > yes I have that issue too. FreeBSD says: media: 100baseTX <full-duplex> status:
 > active
 > but it doesn't look like that the card actually runs at full-duplex. Is there any
 > way
 > to figure it out?

If you see collisions, terrible tcp performance & good udp
performance,  you probably have a duplex mismatch.

 > Is there any better NIC card that works all right in full-duplex under FreeBSD?

I'd strongly recommend the Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B.

If you end up replacing the DEC DE500-BA, would you consider loaning
that card to the if_de driver's author?  I'd have done this long ago,
but all my cards of this type are built into $10k workstations.