Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:44:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Thierry.Besancon@lps.ens.fr
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        besancon@lps.ens.fr
Subject:   docs/14112: error in html doc FreeBSD 3.3

>Number:         14112
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       calls in ddb doc don't exist any longer
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       non-critical
                24 rue Lhomond, 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
                tel: 01 44 32 34 76; fax: 01 44 32 34 33
>Environment:

FreeBSD fileserver.lps.ens.fr 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Tue Sep 21 14:01:54 CEST 1999     root@demo.lps.ens.fr:/usr/src/sys/compile/FILESERVER  i386

Trying to debug a kernel, I started lynx and read in the section
"On-line Kernel Debugging Using DDB" :

   Now you have now examined why your kernel failed, and you wish to
   reboot. Remember that, depending on the severity of previous
   malfunctioning, not all parts of the kernel might still be working as
   expected. Perform one of the following actions to shut down and reboot
   your system:
    call diediedie()

   This will cause your kernel to dump core and reboot, so you can later
   analyze the core on a higher level with kgdb. This command usually
   must be followed by another continue statement. There is now an alias
   for this: panic.
    call boot(0)

   Which might be a good way to cleanly shut down the running system,
   sync() all disks, and finally reboot.

Well, diediedie() or boot() are undefined symbols in the FreeBSD 3.3 release.

>How-To-Repeat:

No need in repeating.

>Fix:

Find the correct symbols.