Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 16:45:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk (Andrew Boothman)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extending FreeBSD Slice on HDD

Andrew Boothman wrote,
> Is it possible to extend FreeBSD's slice to use the whole disk? How will
> that effect the BSD partitions? Will they just each get doubled in size?
> Or will I need to treat this new slice as a new HDD?

The easiest thing to do, IMHO, would be to create a new FreeBSD slice
in the newfound space. Then, put a disklabel on it and partition the
slice. FreeBSD does treat slices almost like separate HDs.

I am not completely sure what would happen if you changed your current
slice to take up the whole disk. You would need to use fdisk to change
the size of the slice and rewrite the disklabel. I /think/ you would be
possible to preserve your data on the disk, but I am not at all 100%
sure of that.

I _am_ sure that you cannot resize your present FreeBSD partitions
without losing the data. No matter what, if you do not want to have to
rewrite your data, you will be making new partitions.

> Many thanks, I checked the Handbook, FAQ and mailing list archives. But
> all I could find was information relevant to adding a completely new
> drive.

The mail search at the website strikes again? I helped someone convert
a DOS partition to FreeBSD a few weeks ago and just today answered
someone else doing that.

Mail to me or the list if you need more detailed help. You might want
to include your 'dmesg' output relevent to your disk as well as
'fdisk' output.

> Thanks again!

Hope you figure it out.