Date:      19 Nov 2002 22:13:03 -0600
From:      Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Playing with Current.

First off I wasn't sure which list to send this to: current, hackers or
questions; so if this is the wrong destination my apologies.

Anyway, last year, after years of using Linux, I fell in love with the
FreeBSD project. Now, I've had the desire offer my time and energy to
help development. My problem though is I only have 3 machines where I'm
currently living, 2 desktops and a laptop. I have to leave Windows
installed on one desktop for compatibility and I'd like to leave the
other desktop running 4.x so I have a UNIX computer that I know will
always be working. That leaves me with the laptop to play with 5.0 and
CURRENT. However, the laptop is a puny Cyrix P180+ (I think it's the
MediaGX chip or whatever they were touting a few years back). Doing a
make world or building a kernel would probably take me two weeks, not
the best environment for development.

My question is could I keep and build the CURRENT source tree on the
FreeBSD desktop, mount it over NFS to the laptop, and install it over
the NFS mount? I know I can do that with 4.x, but I'm wondering if this
is really testing CURRENT if I don't build it on the 5.0 kernel. For now
I really don't think I'll be able to help much with writing anything too
intense; however I noticed in the latest 5.0 release notes that people
have been converting Perl scripts to C and I'm more then capable of
doing that. And I also think the laptop, even though it is slow would be
a usable platform for working on that kind of development.

What are your thoughts on this setup; is it worth my time or should I
just sit idly by until I can get a desktop system to play with CURRENT.
I have a little free time and about 7 years experience programming C in
Linux and UNIX (peanuts compared to most people reading this I imagine)
but I'd like to help a cause I believe in.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

--
Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers