Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 01:11:05 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another fortune candidate..

--C7Ke/meiCZutM6I/

On 2002-05-08 23:14 -0700, Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org> wrote:
> With this sudden spurt of fortune submissions, I figure I might as well
> toss out a quote I recently came across and rather like.  It seems quite
> relevent to a number of recent legal developments...
>=20
>    There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the
>    notion that because a man or a corporation has made a profit out of the
>    public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged
>    with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the
> face   of changing circumstances and contrary public interest. This
> strange   doctrine is not supported by statute nor common law. Neither
> individuals   nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask
> that the clock   of history be stopped, or turned back, for their private
> benefit.      -- Robert A. Heinlein, "Life-Line", 1939

I like that one; it's interesting and still seems quite relevant.  It's
got my approval, FWIW, assuming it's formatted a bit better when
committed.  :)

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                     "Software is like sex; it's better
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org                when it's free."  -- Linus Torvalds
http://www.zer0.org/~gsutter/=20
hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net/0x845DFEDD

--C7Ke/meiCZutM6I/